1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a Gaming PC

Discussion in 'General PC Gaming' started by Weasel, May 30, 2016.

1. Weasel

Weasel {PR} Weasel {PR} Member

CZs Received:
    Hi folks,

So I'm finally in my new flat which means I won't be looking to move any time soon. What this means is that I can start to look at building myself a decent gaming PC and move away from gaming laptops at last.

While I have a very basic knowledge in terms of how a PC works and what hardware serves what purpose, I don't particularly know the in-depth stuff required to build my own PC or how to know what parts will be compatible with each other.

The purpose of this thread is for people to give me advice, pointers, and hardware recommendations for building a relatively decent gaming PC. I'm going to leave this as an open budget for the time being as I'm not really in a position to start buying any parts right away (buying and furnishing a flat sort of eats up all your money).

Advise away!

To give some perspective on what I am using now:

Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 860M 2GB (Ideally looking to stick with nVidia)
    Memory: 16GB (Ideally building with at least 32GB, possibly with expansion potential)
    HDD: 1TB Seagate Momentus XT Sata6Gbs 64MB Cache Hybrid Hard Drive w/ 8GB SSD Caching
    Processing: 2x Quad Core i7-4810MQ

Games I play:
    All Blizzard games like some sort of demented fanboy
    BF4 (thanks Windy!), hopefully BF1 when it comes out
    Dota2
    All the clickers imaginable
    Occasional survival MMOs

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  2. Abaddon

Abaddon Your Worst Nightmare Council Member

CZs Received:
    I don't know a huge amount about building computers but it might help others if you add what games and genre's you normally play, what games you want to play, and what performance you want (maxed out ultra or decent frames on medium). I'll share a couple things I've picked up from years of playing on a potato.

The games I play (survival MMO's and MMORPG's) rely solely on a very strong and overclocked Intel CPU 3.5GHz and higher. i7s aren't worth the upgrade from i5's unless you do a ton of multi-tasking or video rendering. A lot of games aren't optimized for using multiple cores, so it is a waste of money. You can get away with a slower CPU if it is overclock-able, but make sure to get a proper cooling system.

Shooters seem to rely on high end graphics cards for the pretty maps and weapon effects. Nvidia GeForce performs way better in most games compared to AMD Radeon, and AMD software is :poop:. Get one with at least 2GB of VRAM - 4GB would be best (latest top of the line is the GTX 1080 with 8GB VRAM).

You will also want 16GB of ram and of course an SSD will make a world of difference if you can afford one with enough space. They also make Solid State Hybrid Drives (SSHD) which is a fast mechanical drive with a small cache for most used programs. That's what I use and I'm a big fan of Seagate HD's in general. I'd recommend at least 1TB for gaming. I've also been told to get a power supply a little higher than what your system requires and that Windows 10 performs better than older Windows versions.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Supplice

Supplice He who flatters his superiors, betrays them. Council Member

CZs Received:
    You might want to rebuff yourself on current day's research and technology.

And generally 4GB of VRAM is a standard these days (higher, of course, for the higher end cards) and you really only see 2GB on the lower end budget focused cards. But, generally speaking, VRAM also isn't usually much of an issue.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Weasel

CZs Received:
    Well I suppose my first question is about motherboards, as far as I understand it, the motherboard is kind of important for deciding what other components are usable. This is where my knowledge goes to hell.

5. King8Bit

King8Bit BOOM Shakalaka! Council Member

CZs Received:
    What's your budget look like?

So from what I understand you're gaming on laptop currently and wanting to build a desktop PC?

6. Weasel

CZs Received:
    Well currently I'm aiming for about £2000 (~3000$) but naturally my current available funds aren't anywhere near that so it won't be a buy parts today and start building next week kind of thing.

I've been gaming on laptops since 2008 and ended up buying a new laptop every two years or so. That was because I've been studying and moving about so much that there's been no practical point in having a desktop. My thinking is that if I build a relatively high-spec PC this year/start of next, then I'll be set for a good few years to come.

When I've been on a new laptop I can never run games on their highest settings so I'm never anywhere near a high-end. My current one is CyberpowerPC custom build which is pretty damn good and set me back £1000 2 years ago in September but running games on high really heats it up, even with cooling pad.

7. King8Bit

CZs Received:
    Ok cool you can definitely build a monster PC for less than half of that budget. It would certainly future proof it quite of bit. Usually I can push mine for a long time with only upgrading the GPU every 3 or 4 years. Last upgrade I had was to prepare for Witcher 3 release. Here's my current specs to give you an idea. Between all of us I'm sure we can get you into something awesome.

CPU - i7-4820K @ 3.70Ghz Quad core, Ivy Bridge-E
    Memory -32GB Physical Memory DDR3 in quad channel mode
    Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth X79
    GPU - Nvidia GTX 770 2GB memory

8. Weasel

CZs Received:
    GPU I'm looking at going for nVidia GTX 1080 8GB.
    CPU thinking i7-6700K @ 4.0Ghz Quad core.

In fact pretty similar to yours but with some silly expensive :poop: in there. Been toying with the idea of a double GPU but can't really see how that's going to really give me that much more than the single.

I think the thing that I'm most unsure about is how to choose a mobo and a case. I've read some awful stuff about people finding halfway through a build that their case won't fit the hardware they've got (and some even worse stuff courtesy of PC Gamer). And then of course there's cooling...

9. King8Bit

CZs Received:
    Yeah I think the GTX 1080 is going to be your best for both price and performance. CPU you could go many routes. You could go with your suggestion which isn't a bad quad core cpu or move into a Haswell-E processor like a i7-5820K with a hexa-core. Pricing isn't too different between them. I would use the processor to build off what motherboard you go with. Some people do the opposite and build off the motherboard they want.

Here's a comparison of the two (link)

Personally I've never seen the need for a SLi bridged GPU and I've been able to run most everything on the highest setting with no issue.

As far as the case you have plenty of options to go with just depends on the size you want.9 out of 10 times you'll be using an ATX motherboard so you just need a case to work with that form factor. I personally like full tower cases (I'm using the Cooler Master Haf-X) and love it. It hides wires nicely, is easy to work on and looks really good but on the downside it is heavy. Fortunate for me I don't need to move it around a lot.

10. Weasel

CZs Received:
    Well I was thinking a full tower would fit nicely under my desk to the right side. I still need to buy a sofa (waiting on an invoice to be paid for that) which would be to the right of the desk itself but there would be enough space for decent airflow there. As you can see I've got my two laptops set up there. The centre view is my Fangbook, the one on the right being a 5-year-old HP XPS, the last decent laptop range Dell seemed to make (closest now is Inspiron and they're just not able to handle the heat they generate). There is a decent cable tray under the desk behind the drawers which is where the majority of the cables are hiding for this set-up.

Idea would be to go for dual-monitors in a similar layout. Probably start out single to stretch out the cost over a longer time period. Already have a decent keyboard and mouse so that's a tiny fraction of the cost covered!
    IMG_20160531_173846.

11. King8Bit

CZs Received:

Oh sweet, in that case you may want to check that Haf-X case out it does have casters on the bottom so on a floor setup(mines on my desk for display) it would work nicely.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. King8Bit

CZs Received:
    Some quick suggestions if you go the Intel haswell-e route. Of course I'm sure there will be other opinions out there too. Should be interesting to see what everyone suggests.

MOBO - (link)
    MEM - (link) board has room to go up to 128gb

If you go for the GTX 1080 I'm not sure how long the wait will be for those to be back in stock but that would be the heaviest cost for a single part.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Weasel

CZs Received:
    One supplier I'm looking at currently says they should have the GTX 1080 in stock on June 30th which gives people time to pay my invoices. Just under £580 with free delivery which is cheaper than suggested on the nVidia page.

Currently what I'm looking at based on advice thus far:

Case: Haf-X (£150, £11.50 p&p)
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (£580)
    CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K, 4x 4.0 GHz (£282)
    MoBo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA 2011v3 (£140)
    RAM+Cooling: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB + Airflow (£135)
    1TB SSD: Crucial MX200 1TB Sata 6Gb/s 2.5" (£250)
    OS: Windows 10 Home 32-bit/64-bit English International (£85)

Total: £1633.50

14. King8Bit

CZs Received:
    Only thing, that cpu you have listed won't work with the board. I can look for other parts of that's the processor you want. Also do you plan to have one drive for everything? Normally I would have a small SSD for the boot partition and use a few higher capacity drives to store games, music, movies etc. Just an observation but you may want to have a few drives especially if one fails even if you don't setup a raid array.

15. Weasel

CZs Received:
    And this is why I don't just go ahead and buy stuff! I didn't even think to check. I've always stuck to Intel i Quads (currently have 2x Quad) and they've run fine and given me no issues. That's the kind of spec I'm looking for, dual Quads being not quite so vital.

I was thinking of getting multiple drives anyway, but initially was thinking a main SSD with a load of space would be good for loading all my games in.

16. Weasel

CZs Received:
    Another thing I might want for easy use would be a wifi chip. Running CATV around the whole flat might be a messy and awful job.

17. King8Bit

CZs Received:
    Here's a couple boards that would fit your i7-6700K (LGA1151), and have WiFi support.

(ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA)
    (ASUS Z170-DELUXE)

Although the memory above would still work I wanted to free up a couple slots
    Memory
    (G.SKILL TRIDENTZ 2x16gb) would still give you two free dimm slots to expand your memory with another 32 gb.

Also, your CPU a little cheaper on Newegg it appears.
    (link)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  18. Weasel

CZs Received:
    Of those two mobos I'm leaning towards the Z170 due to number of ports. I like the memory upgrade, though I will want to look at some additional cooling elsewhere as well. Cheers for the Newegg link, hadn't actually thought too much about looking around, just found a link!

Going with the new memory, CPU and mobo ideas, that brings current cost to approximately £1650. Still looking at hard-drives and thinking of going down the route of a 256GB SSD for boot with a 3TB disk drive for general storage. There's always options to expand anyway but it seems like a decent starting point. Looking at the various SSDs on Newegg I'm noticing a variety of different connection types, what should I be looking for? I rather assumes SATA3 but then there are various other connections (PCIE for example).

19. King8Bit

CZs Received:
    Going with water cooling? I recommend the Crucial H series I've been using them for years with no issue.

As far as drives are concerned I agree you should have a small ssd for boot. That 3tb disk you listed is only 5400rpm stay far away from that. If you do a platter drive just make sure to at least go with 7200rpm. In regards to the connection types, yes they now have PCIe and SATA connections for ssd drives. I believe they offer the same speeds either way.

20. Weasel

CZs Received:
    I was kind of thinking of air cooled simply because it's my first build and water cooling sounds mega complicated and risky if you screw it up. Depends, how much more efficient is it?

In terms of HDD I guess then I'll replace it with this one. Extra £40 but it's otherwise more or less the same as the other.